When it comes to playing a bowling game, most people have probably never given it much thought.
However, this classic American sport has been around for centuries and is still influential today. It is a popular hobby for many people throughout the world. Bowling can be a great way to relax with some friends and have a good time.
There are different types of bowling lanes where you can play. Some lanes are automated, while others require you to bowl by hand. If you’re interested in learning how to bowl, you’ll need to know how to roll a bowling ball.
Read this article to learn how to roll a bowling ball and master the sport in no time.
Choosing The Right Ball
The first step in learning how to roll a bowling ball is choosing the right ball. The type of ball you use can make or break your bowling game. The ball you choose will directly affect the type of lane you’ll be using.
You’ll also need to ensure the ball you choose is approved for the lane you’ll be playing on. You’ll need to consider several factors when choosing a bowling ball. These include:
The Weight of The Ball
The bowling ball’s weight is one of the most important factors to consider when choosing a ball. Bowling balls are typically classified by weight, ranging from 2 pounds to 16 pounds. Some balls exceed 16 pounds.
These balls are used for professional bowling and should be avoided by beginners.
The right ball will depend on your skill and comfort level with the sport. A heavier ball will give you more momentum and make it easier to knock down pins, but you’ll have to use more force to roll it down the lane. A lighter ball will be easier to handle but require more finesse to bowl with.
It is recommended that you start with a 12-pound ball when learning how to bowl. This will help you gain experience and get used to handling a bowling ball before moving on to heavier weights.
The Material Used To Make The Ball
Another critical factor in choosing a bowling ball is the material it’s made out of.
Bowling balls are made from plastic, urethane, reactive resin, polyester, or phenolic resin materials. Each material has its unique properties that can affect how well your roll your bowling ball down the lane and how it reacts with the lane.
The material used to make your bowling ball will depend on your style of play and the type of lane you’ll be using. Plastic and reactive resin balls are typically used for medium to heavy oil lanes. They have a high amount of friction, which allows them to glide down the lane smoothly.
Urethane balls are lightweight and highly responsive. They can also be used in various lane conditions, but they’re not recommended for beginners as they may slide out of control when used on wet lanes.
The Weight Distribution Of The Ball
Another factor you’ll want to consider is the weight distribution of your bowling ball. Bowling balls typically have a center of gravity around 3 inches from the top of the ball to ensure consistent rotation when rolling down the lane. If this weight distribution is off, you may throw an inconsistent or uncontrollable ball that won’t knock down pins consistently.
Another essential feature of a bowling ball is the grip. The grip allows you to hold the ball comfortably and control it while rolling it down the lane.
There are two types of grips that you’ll want to look out for when choosing a bowling ball – finger holes and no finger holes. Finger holes are helpful if you have small hands or weaker fingers. They’ll give you a more secure grasp on the ball and help prevent it from slipping out of your hands as you roll it down the lane.
No finger holes are better suited for people with larger hands or stronger fingers as they can allow your hand to slide off easily if too much pressure is applied when holding onto the ball, leading to a loss of control over where your ball goes.
How to Roll a Bowling Ball
There are a few things to keep in mind when you roll your bowling ball down the lane.
1. Start with your dominant hand on top of the ball and use your non-dominant hand to hold onto the fingers holes or finger bumpers.
2. With your dominant hand, push down on the back of the ball while using your non-dominant hand to guide it forward towards the pins.
3. When you reach the end of your approach, let go of the ball and follow through with a smooth swing through release.
4. Add spin by rolling your wrist as you release towards the pins and adding more force if necessary by pushing down with your dominant hand while pulling up with your non-dominant hand (if it has finger holes).
5. Release at a speed that is appropriate for how fast you’re going down the lane as well as how heavy or light you’ve made it (the heavier or lighter it is, the slower you should roll it).
6. Stay focused on where you want to throw your ball and don’t look at where other people are bowling from – this will allow you to
Tips for Rolling a Bowling Ball
- Use a lighter ball on an outside lane. This will help you to maintain better control and accuracy on the lane.
- On an inside lane, you can use a heavier ball with a lower RPS. You’ll have to be more patient and deliberate with your shots, but this is a great way to challenge yourself.
- If you’re using a spare or a heavy ball, you’ll have to aim higher. This is because the ball will leave the pins sooner, so you’ll need to adjust your aim accordingly.
- If your ball is spinning too fast, you can add more grip. Also, rotating the ball twice in each direction will help to slow down the ball.
- Try to bowl at a pace that is comfortable for you. If you are having trouble finding a good pace, set a timer for 15 minutes and see how you feel after that time is up.
- When you’re done with your round of bowling, make sure to clean your ball. This will help maintain the ball’s grip and decrease the chance of your ball-breaking.
Now that you know how to roll a bowling ball, you’re ready to start bowling. You’ll have to adjust to the different types of bowling and find the type that’s right for you. Bowling is a great way to relax after a long day at work. It can also be a great social activity if you have the right friends to join you. If you’re looking for an excellent way to unwind and relax, you should try it out.